Roll over image to zoom in
Click to open expanded view
The Breadwinner (Anniversary)
Deborah Ellis, best known for her Breadwinner series, has donated more than $1 million in royalties to Canadian Women for Women in Afghanistan and Street Kids International. She has won many awards, including the Governor General’s Award and Sweden’s Peter Pan Prize.
First published in 2000;fifteenth anniversary re-issue with updates.;Issued also in electronic format.
“A great kids’ book . . . a graphic geopolitical brief that’s also a girl-power parable.” — Newsweek
The first book in Deborah Ellis’s riveting Breadwinner series is an award-winning novel about loyalty, survival, families, and friendship under extraordinary circumstances during the Taliban’s rule in Afghanistan. Eleven-year-old Parvana lives with her family in one room of a bombed-out apartment building in Kabul, Afghanistan’s capital city. Parvana’s father — a history teacher until his school was bombed and his health destroyed — works from a blanket on the ground in the marketplace, reading letters for people who cannot read or write. One day, he is arrested for the crime of having a foreign education, and the family is left without someone who can earn money or even shop for food. As conditions for the family grow desperate, only one solution emerges. Forbidden to earn money as a girl, Parvana must transform herself into a boy, and become the breadwinner. The 15th anniversary edition includes a special foreword by Deborah Ellis as well as a new map, an updated author’s note, and a glossary to provide young readers with background and context. All royalties from the sale of this book will go to Canadian Women for Women in Afghanistan. Parvana’s Fund supports education projects for Afghan women and children.
- School Library Journal 01/01/2003 (EAN 9780807209745, Analog Audio Cassette)
- Criticas 09/01/2004 pg. 57 (EAN 9780888995926, Paperback)
- Kliatt 11/01/2002 pg. 42 (EAN 9780807209738, Analog Audio Cassette)
- Quill & Quire 10/01/2000 pg. 47 (EAN 9780888994196, Hardcover)
- Booklist 03/01/2001 pg. 1275 (EAN 9780888994196, Hardcover)
- Publishers Weekly 03/19/2001 pg. 100 (EAN 9780888994196, Hardcover)
- School Library Journal 07/01/2001 pg. 106 (EAN 9780888994196, Hardcover)
- Hornbook Guide to Children 01/01/2001 pg. 304 (EAN 9780888994196, Hardcover)
- Christian Home & School 03/01/2002 pg. 28 (EAN 9780888994196, Hardcover)
- Hornbook Guide to Children 07/01/2001 pg. 304 (EAN 9780888994196, Hardcover)
- Booksense ’76 Childrens Spr 02 04/01/2002 pg. 1 (EAN 9780888994165, Paperback)
Ready to ship in 1-3 business days
- Store Name: Official Key Bookstore Shop
- Vendor: keybooks
42 Warren St.
HARTFORD, CT 06120
- No ratings found yet!